1. He wants all your time. This may be flattering at first, but if he wants to be with you all the time and you no longer have time for family or friends, he isn't respecting your relationships with others. Healthy relationships develop over time and incorporate each person’s family and social network.
2. You always do what he wants, not what you want or pushes you to do things you don’t want to do. In healthy relationships the needs of both individuals matter. If you are dating someone who is not interested in your interests or desires, he probably isn’t really interested in making you happy over the long term, but simply meeting his own needs. A young man who cares about you will respect you and your decisions.
3. He lies to family or friends. If someone lies to other people, he will eventually lie to you. Don’t fool yourself, dishonesty is not a character trait you want in a long-term partner. If he lies for you, he will lie to you.
4. He engages in any activity you think you can “Fix” with your relationship. This is one of the biggest lies women tell themselves. You can’t “fix” him. If he’s broken in some way or engaged in behaviors you don’t like (this includes using alcohol, drugs, pornography) step away from the relationship until he gets help on his own. This is especially true of any addiction. People who are struggling with addiction are not capable of a healthy relationship, they need professional help.
5. He criticizes you, or disparages your appearance, talents or interests. Someone who truly cares about you will build you up, encourage you and help you grow. If he does not bring out the best in you, he is not the right choice for you!